Wednesday, November 5, 2008

blurring of church and state in the land of porn.

Yesterday, I wandered into a porn shop on accident. I had bought a cheap $50 watch a couple of weeks ago and I just needed to have some of the links in the band removed.The sign outside had said "jewelery repair" not "jewelery repair and old VHS copies of 'Big Breasted Babes Taking it Up the Ass'."

The left wall was covered floor to ceiling with VHS casettes with packaging of tits and asses for anyone needing a watch repaired to see. The right wall looked like a jewlery store with it's cases of jade jewelry and framed pictures of the owner's grandkids in fancy frames.

As I waited for my watch, I browsed the titles and thought of the historic day in American politics. A black man would be declared president in just a few hours. That much I knew for sure. It would show the world how far we've come since the dark days in our history when Blacks were treated as second class citizens.

In the way thoughts flow in only the way they can when be surrounded by porn, Obama's win and the dirty racist past of America led me to thoughts of how there was a time when it was illegal for people of different races to marry. Here on the porn titles in front of me, a white housewife is fucking a black man. A few titles over, it is two men and I thought of really how far our country had come but how we still have such a long way to go.

Proposition 8 would end marriage discrimination in the state of California. I mean, if we want to get really technical, I know people of different faiths in relationships whereas their churches tell them it is wrong so how could Prop 8 pass in California? How can we as a state tell people they are not allowed to marry because of who they love? A lot of the funding for Prop 8 came from the Mormon church which has a history of allowing multiple wives so how could they say that two people are not allowed to marry for love? With the divorce rate hovering around 50%, til death do us part really doesn't mean anything anymore so why not open to the doors to allow more folks to the misery that is marriage?

I am in a happy, healthy relationship and I have no desire to marry the man that makes me grin every single day. Can't I give up my wedding to someone who really wants it? I don't want to ruin the good thing I have by putting a marriage into the mix but who am I to tell anyone else not to marry? Should we decide to have children in the lifetime to come, I am old school enough to get married but what if we never have a child. What if there are no wedding invitions with the words "shotsguns optional" and a wedding with an unborn child participating- does this make me a bad person? No. So why should any other couple be deemed unworthy of marriage?

James called when I was in the shop but I did not answer it as I did not think I would be able to refrain from telling him where I was and read the battered VHS cases to him to prove it. It only took a few minutes for the little man to fix my watch. When I was outside the little shop, I called James back to tell him I loved him and of course- talk about porn.

I am really sad for the state of California today. I want to apologize to all of the same sex couples that I know that the seperation of church and state became so blurred to 5 million Californians that they are denied the right to marry.

In case you were wondering, the porn store is on 3rd at Santa Clara on the furniture store side by the wings shop.

No comments: