Sharon called James last week to tell him that she needed his help. She had rats in her attic that needed to be taken care of and oh, by the way what time should they come over for father's day dinner?
For the couple of days following, I debated calling my dad to invite him over. I assumed his wife had planned something for him but on Saturday, I decided just to double check. He wasn't sure if his wife had planned anything either so he would have to let me know the following day. As it turned out, the only thing his wife had planned for father's day involved my dad putting together a bookcase so my dad came over.
We barbequed dinner and sat out in the backyard. The parents finally went home around 10 but not before hilarious conversations and good times. This was the first time that Sharon and Vince really got to know my dad and our relationship. He and I talk about everything from politics to science to sex. I made Sharon blush when I made jokes about Britney Spears' prior claim to viriginity and my father did not even blink and kept the joke going.
In other news, all 50 kids that my father tutored last year passed their math placements! (On Obama's call to action day, my father volunteered at a middle school to work with at risk students. He spent the next several months working with these kids to develop their math skills. One day a week, he would work with 8th graders who needed to get their grades up in order to go on to highschool. Again, they all passed and he beams like a proud father when talking about it.)
I am still smiling over spending time with my dad. He cracks me up in his ability to reference every kid movie that's come out in the past few years. For example, we were talking about the current strength of the American dollar and he used the movie Kit Kitridge as a relatable point when discussing the Great Depression.
This morning, I couldn't help but think of the time he won karate lesson's at an USC Alumni party. Rather than pass these off onto a neighborhood kid, he took the karate lessons. My 63 year old father surrounded by a gaggle of 7 year olds- the very thought makes me giggle.
I really should spend more time with my papa. I realize that I am so lucky to have this kind of extrodinary relationship with my father. I look forward to James getting to know my dad better as well. They get along and talk easily but James is still on his best behavior around my dad. I would like him to see that he can let his guard down a bit and just have fun. Time. It will happen in time.
There are so many amazing men in my life who have daughters (or will soon!). I love to see their relationships with their little girls now and I hope someday these little girls look up to their daddies the way I look up to mine. I have quite a few guy friends with sons and I am amazed how they are teaching the next generation to be respectable men even at a very young age. These guys really understand how important it is to teach your children what it means to be a good person. Happy Father's Day to all these extrodinary men who step up and be good fathers and role models.
No comments:
Post a Comment