Saturday, July 30, 2011

we are becoming the men we wanted to marry

In case you're wondering, I do see the humor in the contrast from the song I posted yesterday and the article I am posting this morning.

Maria Shriver interviews Gloria Steinam

Definitely read this. Doesn't matter if you're a man, woman, or goat (assuming you are a literate goat).
SHRIVER: What do you think when you look at women like Sarah Palin or Michele Bachmann? Do you think that they represent a different kind of woman? Or do you think, "Where did these women come from? This isn't what I had in mind at all!"?

STEINEM: [both laugh] Well, when I look at them, some part of me is grateful for their making clear that it's not about biology, but about consciousness. But I also know that if you have a strong social justice movement, then it's inevitable that you will make jobs for people who sell that movement out. How did Clarence Thomas get to the Supreme Court? Because he opposed much of what the Civil Rights Movement had in mind. But I must say, if I were going to create a female adversary,  I could not have made up a better one than Sarah Palin.

SHRIVER: Why? STEINEM: Why? [laughs] Well, for instance, even half of Republicans don't believe she's qualified to be presi- dent. So it isn't as if she's Margaret Thatcher.

No comments: