Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgving Recipe 3 - Apple/Cranberry/Apricot Pie

Alright, I have no idea what inspired this one... I was sitting there peeling apples for a traditional apple pie while watching The Real Housewives of Orange County and before the first commercial break, I was in the kitchen mixing together this creation.

I am going to post the pie crust recipe later tonight as my method is insanely labor intesive and I am hoping I figure out an easier way sometime tonight as mine includes even freezing the pastry flour.

Pre heat oven to 400*

For the filling:

4 cups sliced and peeled apples
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup roughly chopped dried apricots
zest of an orange and it's juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp honey
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour

Mix this all together pour into the pie crust.

For the topping mix together:

1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter

Smoosh this into the mound of pie filling.

Bake for about an hour and hope for the best. Per usual, if the top browns too fast, cover with foil. Check in on it at the 30 minute mark and uncover for the last few minutes. Make sure this cools all the way down before you attempt to eat it.

No comments: